Kim Unscripted »

Masthead header

43/52 [Finally got my Crown]

Crown Graphic that is!! I’ve been wanting a large format camera for a while, mostly to do wet plate collodion (WPC) photography with in the future. Then one day out of the blue someone sent me an email stating I should get into 4×5 film. After a few email exchanges I found a WPC workshop here in Michigan. I think I was on cloud 9 for a few days with that find as most other workshops require travel to the East/West coast.

The email sparked my interest in getting my own 4×5 camera….research started. Then when I was in NYC at the beginning of October a friend had brought on a photo walk his 4×5 camera. I followed him around like a puppy dog waiting for him to pull the camera out of his bag. 😉  When he finally did, seeing the image it produced was the deal sealer. With his help, I was able to find on ebay parts to put together the above Graflex Crown Graphic. My wonderful friend, Rom, was kind enough to let me borrow his Polaroid 405 instant back to test the camera with Fuji 100c film instead of wasting 4×5 film and he also sent me a box of polaroid type 51 film *GASP*. Large format is a slow process to make a picture but the end results are wonderful when done correctly. I’m so looking forward to playing with this camera more in the near future. Until then…below are some expired Polaroid 669 film I shot in Detroit this past weekend:

Below is a quick snapshot of H. on Polaroid 51 film. Love the eeriness of the image, perfect for Halloween.

Let YOUR light shine,

Kim

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

comments

Powered by Facebook Comments

• Vanessa - October 31, 2012 - 12:18 pm

Beautiful shots, Kim! Besides instant, what film does the Graflex use? I’m a bit swoony over that camera of yours!ReplyCancel

• Kim - October 31, 2012 - 1:21 pm

Thanks Vanessa. I have Kodak tmax 4×5 sheet film in the refrigerator, ilford also makes sheet film. A 405 film back will also allow you to use pack film from Fuji. 🙂ReplyCancel

• Briana - October 30, 2012 - 8:19 pm

How exciting! I’ve been wanting to get into WPC and tintypes myself. No idea where to start with the camera selection though. Maybe I’ll hit you up for some info some day. 😉 Love that first Pola!ReplyCancel

• Kim - October 30, 2012 - 8:24 pm

Thanks Briana. Ian ruhter is actually using a Holga to do WPC right now, so really any camera will work. 🙂 hopefully I’ll be at a spring WPC workshop, a lot of chatter will be happens if it happens. 🙂ReplyCancel

• rkbry - October 30, 2012 - 1:30 pm

That’s an amazing camera. Neato. And I love the poloraid shots you took. Amazing.

If you don’t mind me asking, how did you find a WPC workshop? Other than the Google, is there a spot to easily find such workshops?

Thanks!ReplyCancel

• Kim - October 30, 2012 - 7:06 pm

Thank you Rob for the kind words. I stumbled upon the workshop by following threads/comments on Flickr. The best way is to ask those who do WPC. 🙂ReplyCancel

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterBack to top69,109,97,105,108,32,109,101em liamE